Economic development has led to a high rate of lifestyle changes. With these changes comes a crop of diseases. These diseases have been dubbed “lifestyle diseases” or “diseases of civilization” and “diseases of longevity”.
Most people don’t even know they are creating platforms for the growth of these diseases through their day to day activities.
Life style diseases are defined as those health problems that react to changes in lifestyle. The changed living habits due to increasing sedentary lifestyle, job requirements, competitive living are the main culprits against a healthy life. Ayurveda is a holistic science. It aims primarily to maintain healthy life in healthy individuals & secondly to treat the disease in diseased individual.
List of Lifestyle Diseases
- Heart disease
- Type 2 diabetes
- Respiratory disorders (Asthma,COPD)
- Disease of digestive system :(Liver cirrhosis,peptic ulcers,GERD)
- Neuro Psychiatric disorders (Depression, Alzheimer’s disease,anxiety,stress)
- Genitourinary diseases(CKD,Nephritis)
- Metabolic syndrome
- Some types of cancer
Causes of Lifestyle Diseases
- Diet and lifestyle are the most common causes of these lifestyle diseases.
- Tobacco smoking, drug abuse and alcohol intake as well as a lack of exercising can increase the risk of acquiring certain diseases.
- In day todays life, people consume a lot of meat, vegetable oils, dairy products, alcoholic beverages and sugary foods.
- People have also adopted sedentary lifestyles and thus increasing the prevalence of obesity.
Ayurveda is recognized as foremost life science and describes ways to prevent and manage lifestyle disorders, the world is being attracted towards its potential.
The holistic approach of Ayurveda, treating the patient as a whole, meaning intervention targeted toward complete physical, psychological, and spiritual well-being makes this science a wonderful option in lifestyle disorders.
Management of Lifestyle Diseases
Ayusanjivani Ayurveda offers various regimen including
- Dinacharya (daily regimen-proper dietery and lifestyle management ),
- Ritucharya (seasonal regimen-season wise dietery management),
- Panchakarma (five detoxification and bio-liurification theraliies),
- Rasayana (rejuvenation) theraliies.