Thyroid function is attributed by Dhatwagni .Basal metabolic rate of body is regularized by Dhatwagni and Jatharagni.
Ayurveda attributes the cause of thyroid disease to the imbalance of tri-doshas caused by
- Climatic conditions,
- Impure water intake,
- In-nutritious foods and unhealthy dietary habits
- Disturbance in dinacharya.
Thyroid disorders :
It is of mainly two types as below :
The inadequate functioning of thyroid gland results in the reduced levels of thyroxin secretion which leads to hypothyroidism.
Ayurveda attributes the root cause of this dysfunction to the vitiated Kapha and vat doshaj.
- Sluggishness of bodily functions,
- Fogginess in head,
- Slow pulse,
- Hoarseness of voice,
- Decreased immune functioning with recurrent infections,
- Sensitivity to cold,
- Depression and dry skin are some the symptoms of this disease.
Panchakarma in hypothyroidism :
- 1. Vaman
- 2. Virechan
- 3. Basti
- 4. Nasya
External treatments in hypothyroidism :
- a) Thalapothichil(shirolepam)
- b) Thakradhara
- c) Udwarthana
Above procedures are carried out from 8 days to 15 days depending on prakruti and severity of disease as per physician advice.
Hyperthyroidism is a condition that encompasses several different diseases, all characterized by production of too much hormone, resulting in an overactive metabolic state.
Ayurveda attributes the root cause of this dysfunction to the vitiated vat and pitta doshas. Many of the body’s processes speed up with this disorder:
- rapid heart rate,
- shallow respiration,
- frequent bowel motions,
- menstrual disturbance and excessive fatigue
- Swelling at thyroid gland are some of the symptoms of this disease
1.panchakarma in hyperthyroidism :
2.Extrenal treatments :
- Moordini Thaila
- Ksheer dhara
- Jaloukawacharan and lepam over thyroid gland
Above treatments are given from 8 to 14 days depending on prakruti and severity of disease as per physicians advice.
So early diagnosis is key factor for thyroid treatment,if you are suffering from above symptoms then first follow ayurveda instead of using thyroid supplement.
Dr.Shailesh Phalle MD