Inflammation of sinus is nothing but sinusitis. According to ayurveda it comes under Pratishay vyadhi .
Sinusitis presents with headache, face pain, nasal discharges, stuffy nose, fever, loss of smell, sore throat, nasal congestion, cough, fatigue, eye pain etc symptoms.
Precautions for sinusitis:
Sinusitis can be prevented by following the below mentioned special tips –
Take early precaution when afflicted with cold and upper respiratory infections and taking treatment for the same.
Take extra precaution during cold seasons. Use only hot water to drink during winter. Follow Ayurvedic winter regimen as told by our acharyas.
• Avoid excessive use of AC in winter, use warm cloths in office.Wherever possible, guard yourself against dust, smoke, pollution, irritants by wearing masks.
• Avoid Kapha aggravating foods and activities – Cold food, drinks and places, cold water shower or bath, especially head bath, day sleep, excessive sleep, sedentary life, foods which are oily, sweet, sour and salty in taste, heavy to digest foods, etc
• Avoid excessive milk, sugar, coffee, fried products, refrigerated products, sweets, oily products, dishes prepared with flour, fast food, carbonated drinks, cigarette, chocolates, white flour, liquor, meat, bread, junks etc
• Don’t skip or delay meals – They will disturb your gut fire (agni) and cause errors of digestion. This will supply less nutrition to your tissues and also will form lot of ama in the cells (intermediate products of metabolism with a sticky nature and capacity to block the body channels). Ama will further predispose to the formation of many diseases including sinusitis.
• Frequent head baths
• Mosquito repellents
• Swimming in the pool treated with chlorine
• Air travel – too is a risk factor for exacerbation of sinusitis since the air pressure changes. Take caution and some medicine during air travel.
• Take seasonal fruits like pomegranate, sweet orange, papaya, apple, pears etc.
• Do good exercise and walking.
• Garlic and onion as a part of diet
• Follow Vata-Kapha pacifying diet. They are responsible for accumulation / stagnation of morbidity in the body (sinuses in this case).
• Eat foods that are neither too hot nor too cold.
• Favour cooked warm meals that are light, nurturing and easy to digest.
• Khichri (light and nourishing porridge) or Pongal (south) prepared with green gram, rice and kitchen spices like ginger, cumin seeds, turmeric, fennel seeds, pepper and cinnamon is good for sinusitis.
• Keep your bowels clear – Eat fibre rich vegetables (green leaves), organic fruits and vegetables, avoid brinjal (egg-plant), banana, tomato, curds etc which can clog your channels
• Best options in kitchen – Regularly use – Cinnamon, Black pepper, cumin seeds, mint, onion, basil, garlic, honey, coriander, rock salt, fennel, clove, turmeric, ginger, liquorice, etc
Special Note :
Follow suvarna bindu prashan sanskar (along with immunization schedule ) strictly of your child to boost immunity against recurrent cold and cough.